frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

wheelchair taxi users

13»

Comments

• Just listened to the Captain Sensible link. Powerful music. Trevor you are such an inspiration and congratulations for your award. Great to know that the powers to be appreciate your unselfish work. Mandy x

• Hallelujah!!! called for an accessible taxi to get me into town yesterday afternoon and a new driver with a new adapted taxi turned up. The driver told me that there are now two of these 'on the fleet' which is great.

• Please can we have more accessible taxis. There has been no improvement here despite all the publicity and media interest. There must be a market for more wheelchair friendly taxis because we would all come out more if there were. It is the lack of accessible vehicles and venues being available and which restricts me from integrating with society.

• Until there are enough accessible taxis out there our lives will never be fair or will wheelchair users be respected in society. Local buses are not any good so how can we independently take part in life.

• Its that time of year again. No accessible taxis si I can not go out with my mates. Had to pay a fortune in advance for a mini bus with a lift to go out for a meal with my family next week. Its not fair

• Booked an accessible taxi to pick me up at 11.30 this morning but a regular car turned up so now I have been promised by the taxi company that an accessible taxi will be here before 1pm. Follow this space...............

• I got to my sisters house just before 3pm on Christmas day just in time to join my family to eat our Christmas dinner. It was nearly 2.30pm when the accessible taxi turned up.

• I have a new support person who ordered a taxi to pick me up and take me to the cinema and I would meet him outside. The taxi driver told me it was easier to drop me where he did because of the 1way traffic and my new support person could not find me and I was scared. I do not like people I do not know. I am not in a wheelchair so I hope that I can tell you this here.

• After using a local taxi company for sometime they now know exactly which driver to send who has an accessible vehicle with straps to secure me. Unfortunately if he is not working or unable to pick me up when I need a taxi there is no alternative vehicle which I can travel safely in.

We do not seem to be making much progress despite government legislation. Will it take fatalities before safety for wheelchair users in taxis is taken seriously?

• I sincerely hope not Will. The only local taxi that my chair has been securely strapped into was driven by a guy whose wife is a wheelchair user. A few years ago I contacted our largest taxi operator telling them that I was willing to show their drivers how to secure wheelchairs into their accessible vehicles but they never got back to me which was a shame. I also tried my local authority who did not know who would be the best person to contact. Next stop the Government.

• Later this week another wheelchair user and myself user will be travelling to Burton on Trent to attend a Transport for Wales meeting with one of their suppliers. It was not possible to find a local taxi operator to take us in our wheelchair to Ashby De La Zouch where the meeting will be taking place. Admittedly my wheelchair is a large electric model but all the same this is alienating me from being able to be independent and live as an equal.

Because of this an accessible self-hire vehicle has had to be arranged. So the lack of accessible taxis is not only a Welsh issue but an area that MUST be addressed immediately. Part 12, Disabled persons: transport, of the 2010 Equality Act seems to have been swept under the carpet. Today is the 22nd July and Section 160 clearly states that one again abnormalities such as Changes and effects yet to be applied to the whole Act associated Parts and Chapters is cramping our styles.

• When everything works life is great but to be let down yet again by not being able to book an accessible taxi to go to see a film makes me feel angry. Equality seems to just be a buzz word for politicians to get elected.

• Well I had no choice but to take a taxi yesterday for the first time in years. Driver helpful and got me in and out but drove like a nutter. Every time he hit the breaks my chair lurched forwards and nearly tipped over turning into my road. My friend had to hold on to my chair but if I was by my self it would be dangerous.

• edited October 2019

A noticeable difference here. Taxi drivers are helpful and pleasing. More taxis can take my wheelchair but not larger power chairs. I still do not feel safely secured in the accessible taxis though so something must change. The drivers agree.