frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Social Care Wales

13»

Comments

• Story Telling is key to Co-production

• Knowing that I will be listened to is reassuring. Co-production is an inspiring concept.
  • My partners brother Michael moved to Cardiff last year so that we could help look after him. I broke my arm last week so we contacted social services and we are still waiting for them to get back to us. After several hours I finally got through to a social worker yesterday who says he knew nothing about Michael requiring additional temporary support.

I have been looking at this discussion group for some time but have not had reason to write until now. Before retiring 3 years ago I managed a residential care home for nearly 20 years and always held a high regard for Social Services but now that we are on the receiving end it is a battle rather than intelligent communication to get anything assessed let alone anything done.

• It should not be a battle unless unreasonable demands are made. In your case Alina there has obviously been a communication complication.

• It certainly feels like a battle more often than not. I always feel guilty like I am requesting a special favour or something. Last month was the first time I contacted social services this year to ask for help and after explaining first to the woman who answered the phone before having to explain the same thing to another person I was put through to a OT's voice mail where I left a message explaining the same thing. That took over 10 minuets. I had already wasted half my day trying to get through in the first place. The OT called me back the next day with an appointment to come to my house in three weeks time. All I need is something to help me get my socks on in the morning and I am feeling like I have asked for the World.

• I forgot to mention that that appointment was supposed to have taken place last Thursday and after staying in all day I was called half an hour before hand changing the visit to Wednesday next week at the same time as I have a dental appointment which I now have to change. Its difficult to be positive about dealings with Social Services.

• Interesting going through this Social Care Wales forum. I am from Liverpool and came to Wales nearly 20 years with my Father who worked in Port Talbert for the last 15 years of his life. I like it here and live with my partner in Swansea who is now a wheelchair user like me. The care we receive is brilliant and I cant fault our social worker who listens to us, as long as we are reasonable. She even helped with our housing. Co-production comes from both sides as we listen to her too.

• I am all for co-production as it is the way forward. As a service user it has become increasingly noticeable how the approach and attitudes of social services staff have recently changed although they are the same staff and departments that would not listen to me previously. I am not alone in noticing the change other departments such as benefits and housing need to understand what co-production is all about.

• Where is all this co-production supposed to be taking place? I would love to be listened to and taken seriously. It took me 4 years of constant battling just to get an electric wheelchair so that I could go out on my own. That was several years ago and since I have the chair I have been trying to find some paid work. Why am I not being taken seriously? Job centre, Social Services and almost every government department dont get what equality is about.

• Co-production is the catalyst of culture change in Social Care. Do not expect an instant change but in several years time if you look back Liam at how things were you will realise how co-production has worked.

• It sure helps when we are listend to but not every service will. If you are lucky to get a social worker who does it is great. Our new one is fantastic.
  • Yes co-production is the way forward in a perfect world. The reality of suspect direction, poor implementation and austerity comes into play though and correct understanding from the very top down is vital.

• HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY

• I intend to put Social Services to the test by restructuring my care package is such a way that will enable me to follow my desire to go to the RSPB Newport Wetlands early every Saturday morning. This will involve 7am homecare calls. My friend will take me to the Wetlands but at the moment the carers gtet to me at between 9 - 11 on Saturday mornings which is too late.

• Pleased to say that co-production is taking place within my authority social services with new initiatives and training planned for 2018.

• Co-production is something of a dream. I have ME and when I try to inform the local authority about how ME sometimes restricts my ability to do certain personal things and fatigue can suddenly kick in they immediately think that I am not telling the truth. One housing officer actually told me that I have an over active imagination when I requested a move to a bungalow. There is no pattern to how ME affects me and the last social worker visit was over a year ago and it is clear that I was not listened to because nothing has changed.

• Co-production is such an obvious way forward to improve service delivery and it would be great to have citizen involvement at every level of local authorities and Health Service in Wales.

• Read and learn:
    “Co-production means delivering
    public services in an equal and
    reciprocal relationship between
    professionals, people using
    services, their families and their
    neighbours. Where activities are co-
    produced in this way, both services
    and neighbourhoods become far
    more effective agents of change.”
    Boyle and Harris (2010)

• Finally met my latest social worker who actually listened to me. How things are changing :)